Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

News in Writing.



I found out about Laura Dockrill (Dockers MC) through an article on young British Poets I find her to be rather awesome. Seeing that there is a growing movement for younger people getting into poetry, especially the performance end excites me. It makes me wish I lived in England.

I like to check the Poetry Foundation's news to see what is going on. Since poetry is so ingrained in our culture, even if it feels like a niche art. Plus I get to see what other amazing things are happening in the literary world. For instance, I came across an article on the Poetry Brothel in NYC, a major city for poets. I find this idea rather smashing as well, bringing a mix of old and new for art. Makes me wish I could live in NYC as well. I am planning a trip over the summer, if it falls on the night the Brothel is held, I'll see if I can go.
Other Links about the Poetry Brothel:
Official site only gives an overview and the date of the next Brothel.
Official Myspace I'll add them once I do have the time to make an elegant Myspace. Seems every night I make plans for it things come up -_-'
Another article with a video

I guess part of this shows my visual kei influence comes in. I love presentation as much as I love the work itself. I feel that if it's done right it enhances the work overall. I love the idea of people in costumes giving readings, heck I love dressing up when I go to open mic. My fiance frequently tells me I have a "poet style" on nights I go to read. I know I'm still developing as an artist, I'm still finding my voice. I take in whatever's catching my interest and what reverberates with the kind of art I want to do. I know in America much of the "hip" poetry is connected to hip-hop, making me an odd-duck for being more rock and glam. I don't feel it really sets me apart or anything, it's still all about the poems and finding the best way to express them. Speaking of which, I do hope my Def Poetry Jam DVDs come in soon. I have notices from all sellers stating they've shipped.

I also see that the White House had their Poetry Jam, I'm glad the country is growing more vibrant in the arts. Apparently the last administration cancelled poetry events because so many poets are against war. Speaking of which, poets are performing on the street again in Basra, culture is thriving.

I've been thinking of turning my planned slam into a jam. Hope it makes people feel more invited to read. I really need to get those flyers done. Couldn't print them at home, between being out of paper and finding out that Open Office can't read .pub files. I'll be sure to get them out sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when you're going to be in the city and i'll see if we can accommodate you, we are planning a free brothel in one of the parks this July, but haven't settled on a date yet, feel free contact me if you'd like more info, tennessepink@thepoetrybrothel.com

    Cheers

    T

    ReplyDelete

footer