Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Business Day

I've designated this my "business" day. Like I'll get very much done. It's may, and National Poetry Month has come and gone. It's actually pretty hard for me to write when I don't have a stroke of inspiration. I feel it's helped me grow though and I've accomplished much. I've explored different subjects and themes and can write out my aggravations and make them eloquent now. I used to only be able to write about my aggravations as rants instead of poems.

I haven't done much work today though. I actually got up from a nap a little while ago and now I'm grooving to some Lady Gaga. Was talking with a friend on the phone, he's coming up next weekend to stay. He's turning 21 next week and wants to hang out with his already over 21 friends.

Oh yeah, business. Mainly I want to draft up a flyer for an upcoming slam sometime in June. I still need a confirmed date to hold them monthly from the owner of the establishment I'll be holding it at. Discuss things with some of the local artists who hang out there since a lot of them support what I'm doing. At this point in time there's only one other poet who regularly reads her work at open mics. I have high aspirations for this thing, but who knows. Originally I was going to host them for a local coffee shop (did I already mention this?). Well nobody really showed up except for one audience member who regularly visits there anyways. And now the place is closed due to poor business.

My writing career is very young, but it has that youthful vigor like it can take over the world. Fortunately the people I meet encourage this behavior from my career. Maybe it's because I hope to show the world that poetry doesn't have to be boring, or highbrow. It's all about expression and passion ! You don't have to be stuffy to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer