Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Monday, July 26, 2010

I've been keeping busy. My mind has been so full lately I've been feeling the stress.

Thursday I took a hike up Baker, fell down a couple times on the way down and still have the bruises. It was worth it though, it's been about ten years since I was last up there, and I call myself a local. The view is incredible, and the weather was fantastic.

Been gearing up for the Block Party on August 5, the art machine will be there. It was emptied last Art Walk so I need to double the printouts to provide for the Block Party and the August walk.

I'm also planning my vacation, booked bus tickets today. I do not know how Steve got the page listing standard and refundable fare and why the normal old refundable was several times cheaper than the standard. Of course we went with the refundable, and I will make this an educational trip and go to some shows in the evening.

I am working to up my game. Yeah I get told I'm talented, and I believe it. If I didn't I wouldn't be investing the time and energy I have been investing for the past couple years. But there is always room for improvement, no matter who you are and I'm taking the time to work on that. I've ordered some books to assist and inspire me and am right now reading Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life With Words. I've only read one chapter, but it inspired me, and the chapters are short and sweet. It won't help with formality or really push on the scholarly level, but I like the casual feel.

Aside from poetry, I've also been drafting up my rewrite of The Little Mermaid. I've taken a more novella/teen lit slant to it rather than try to rewrite it in the fairytale format it was originally written. Take the time to use more dialogue with the characters, embellish events while keeping the spirit of the original story. I felt it would be a good starting point for working on lengthier stories and I have been having so much fun writing it.

The only downside I've experienced is that all the stress and excitement have made me feel a bit unwell. Combined with the bruises I've gained over the weekend between hiking and other events. I'll give my spirit a few days to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer