Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Festivals, Stories, etc.

Yesterday I contributed a couple poems for the Art Works booth that will be up at the Farm 2 Fork festival in September. Visual artists are more than welcome to illustrate my pieces, I have one on mashed potatoes and one about raspberries. I'll be looking forward to what comes out of it.

I finished the rough draft of my classic folktale reinterpretation project. Now I'm in the midst of rewriting it. Hopefully I'll be sharing it with an audience at some point, which could be months down the road. I'll probably rewrite it again after I turn my project in. Rewriting is pretty common, you want to make a work be the best it can be for readers. It is also a service to your characters as well since they will be full and mature.

I realized when I finished my draft and studied some critical analysis that my initial writing was too gentle. Everything was too soft, and too understanding (as weird as that can sound, the world needs more understanding). It was honest about the gruesome aspects but not about the painful aspects of human nature. It makes a handy guide so to speak though and I've been working through for a more elegant work.

Not to say I am ignoring all my poems. I am getting my latest art machine contributions ready to turn in. The "scrolls" are coming along, I'm 1/3 of the way done and then have to start rolling up my Art Walk round for after the Block party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer