Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This is Disgusting

I just learned that open mic is on for this month! It's going to be a week later than normally scheduled, but it's still happening apparently. I'm glad. Now to figure out what poems I will read there for the evening.

I also learned something today that upsets me. I heard of how Borders is closing 200 of their Waldenbooks stores. For a while the company has not done well at all, which is say when hearing that in their heyday they were known as a company for people who love reading. The worst part is that they've decided to destroy unsold product, rather than donate it.

Once again it's putting pennies before people. The decision to render an item useless because a company is unable to sell it, rather than give it to someone who normally wouldn't be able to afford it. We've already heard of how some H&M stores are destroying unsold clothing that could go to thrift shops and homeless shelters. Now to hear of the thousands of books that will be destroyed that could go to shelters, libraries, reading programs, schools, etc. (never thought I'd link anything here by Perez Hilton) Just because you can't make a profit on something shouldn't mean that it has to be needlessly wasted. It's sickening how much corporations who adhere to the old ways of things would rather put pennies before people.

After this I don't know if I'll be able to set foot in a Borders again. I love going to Borders because there's such a wonderful selection of books, but a lot of the news I've been hearing about them lately sickens me. It's all about the money and not about reading anymore. Either they're breathing down the necks of workers to upsell like crazy, or they're destroying stock that could go to worthy causes.

There is a Facebook fan page created regarding this issue. I suggest that facebook users who are just as outraged add it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer