Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Success!

My jam and the All-Star show were a success for me. Those two nights feel like a turning point in my career.

Friday: It took a while, but around starting time people started to trickle in. It was just me and two other poets reading, but there was a decent-sized audience. The atmosphere was great, everyone felt so comfortable. I had people telling me that they feel encouraged to bring their own work next time, so there will definitely be another show on the 25th. I need to get the flyers designed and printed for that show, and hopefully after I can have one every couple weeks. I'm glad I could bring people together to enjoy something, and at the same time inspire and encourage people to let their talents out. It's kind of my mission anyways to do that so I'm especially happy.

Saturday: Open mic All-Stars, audience favorites or invited artists are the only people on this bill. A good mix of music, I was the only poet. There is another girl who writes poetry who was invited, but she didn't show up. It makes me kind of worried because she only misses open mic nights when she absolutely can't come. Apparently during my time on stage I scared a couple people away with my piece, "Miss California's ABCs". Don't know if they're against gay marriage or if they were stuffy grad-student types who don't think costumes and humor have a place on poetry. Oh well, I guess scaring people like that is an accomplishment in and of itself. More people loved it than felt disgusted by it. Hopefully if those who left were disgusted, were disgusted by having to confront something in their own lives they need to sort out. In general it was enjoyed, a lot of people liked my punked-out beauty queen look and thought it was cute, they know that fun is allowed. It was a great show in all, so many talented people. Ended up hanging out for quite a while after, got a lot of ideas, scheduled my next jam. Also will be doing a little writing group the week before. I don't have to advertise that, just get other people I know who write together.

I'm exhausted today, it took forever to get up and running so to speak. Performing two nights in a row, and planning out more events. I needed an extra long nap today to get myself energized enough for doing anything. I'll probably have to talk with my paying job again. I will be working with my manager tonight though. Just let him know my career is now booming after these two nights and I will need enough time to work on the business end of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer