Latest Performance

I'm a small-town poet in both written word and performance. I'm more influenced by rock and roll but I am also a lit-chick full of curiosity. My influences are far and wide and I can find writing inspiration in anything, from important matters to pure whimsy.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Events, Rejections, etc

On a good note, I've got my events planned out for the rest of the summer. I'll design fliers soon so I can just print and post when it's time to change the fliers for the next event.

My last event had a smaller turnout, but all attendants were writers. Things will gain momentum as I hold these. People will tell their friends and pretty soon I hope I can see plenty of people showing up.

I also got my second rejection letter. Just gotta keep trying. I'm going to read through another journal and send in a submission in between all the other things I've been doing.

I know that this is a career where letting yourself become discouraged is a way to kill a career. I could always just sink back into the shadows and only write for myself, but what's the fun in making something when I don't feel like sharing it? I just remind myself that I do have fans in my little town. I am working in an under-represented and under-appreciated art. At the same time it's something that shows the human spirit is thriving. For all I know I could end up being the poet who makes the NYT bestseller list, or I'll just remain a poet who is appreciated in whichever community I live in. The point is to just keep going, no matter where I end up. If I bring other writers in my town out to share their work, then I know I've done something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

footer